SECOND CLUTCH MAINTENANCE (Contd)
Keep all second clutch parts together. Intermixing second clutch
parts with any other clutch parts will cause damage to
Remove snapring (2), three external-tanged clutch plates (3), internal-splined clutch plates (4), and
second clutch backplate (1) from transmission (5).
CLEANING AND INSPECTION
Compressed air source will not exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). When
cleaning with compressed air, eyeshields must be worn. Failure to
wear eyeshields may result in injury to personnel.
Volatile mineral spirits burn easily and fumes can explode. Do not
smoke or allow flames nearby when using volatile mineral spirits.
Failure to do so may cause serious injury or death to personnel.
1. Clean all second clutch parts with mineral spirits and dry with a lint-free rag.
2. Inspect internal-splined clutch plates (4) and external-tanged clutch plates (3) for burrs, scratches,
cracks, breaks, and scores. Replace clutch plate(s) (4) or (3) if burred, scratched, cracked, broken, or
3. Measure thickness of internal-splined clutch plates (4). Replace internal-splined clutch plate(s) (4) if
thickness is less than 0.090 in. (2.29 mm).
4. Place external-tanged clutch plates (3) on clean, level surface. Measure distance from inside
diameter to level surface. Replace external-tanged clutch plate(s) (3) if distance is more than
0.010 in. (0.25 mm).
5. Inspect second clutch backplate (1) for wear, burrs, scores, scratches, and breaks. Replace second
clutch backplate (1) if worn, burred, scored, scratched, or broken.