FOURTH CLUTCH MAINTENANCE (Contd)
Remove fourth clutch assembly (1) from transmission (2).
Keep all clutch parts together. Intermixing fourth clutch parts
with any other clutch pack will cause damage to transmission.
1. Remove snapring (3), backplate (4), five internal-splined clutch plates (5), and external-tanged
clutch plates (6) from fourth clutch housing (9).
Piston is under spring compression. Do not remove snapring until
pressure is applied to spring retainer. Failure to do so may result
in injury to personnel.
2. Position fourth clutch housing (9) on arbor press with snapring (13) side facing upward.
3. Using compressor tool, compress spring retainer (12) and remove snapring (13).
4. Remove spring retainer (12), sixteen springs (7), and piston (8) from fourth clutch housing (9).
Record identification REV letter (A, B, or C) on piston if
inspection requires replacement.
5. Remove outer seal (11) and inner seal (10) from piston (8). Discard seals (11) and (10).