4-8.1 FUEL PUMP (IN-TANK) BRACKET AND PUMP ASSEMBLY REPAIR.
TOOLS: 7/16-inch wrench
SUPPLIES: Wire seal
Terminal cover gasket
EQUIPMENT CONDITION: Truck parked, parking brake set, engine off.
a. preliminary procedures.
Be careful when using cleaning solutions and solvents. Do not
expose skin to solvents or inhale their vapors. Many cleaning
agents are toxic and contact with them or their vapors may
cause illness or death. Wear protective clothing and devices and
ensure adequate ventilation while using cleaning agents.
After disassembly and before inspection, clean metal parts in
clean diesel fuel or drycleaning solvent. Carefully blow out and
dry each part with compressed air.
(1) Battery ground cable disconnected. Refer to para. 7-58.
(2) Fuel tank removed. Refer to para. 4-6.
(3) Fuel pump (in-tank) removed. Refer to para. 4-8.
(4) Inspect pump for cracks, distortion and warpage.
(5) Inspect cable for cuts, damage and continuity.
(6) Inspect tube assembly for cracks and other evidence of excessive wear in tube
and for damage to swivel end.
(7) Check continuity of ground cable and inspect for cuts and other damage.
(8) Inspect welded and support parts for cracks, distortion and breakage.